Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Information Literate

Information literate... Wow! What complex term! In order to be information literate one needs to know and understand all the acronyms, platforms, and applications. It is very important because we need to understand the purpose of technology, how it works and what applications are running it; otherwise, you end up like me... struggling to understand and wanting to use more, but not knowing all the powerful tools available... yet.

Of course in a classroom of twenty-one kindergarten students learning needs to be presented with enthusiasm and repetition. It is my hope to work with my principal to find ways to gather some tools necessary; for example a student computer! I hope to search this summer for 'bargains' to purchase and incorporate into my classroom. Examples include, digital camera, more electronic learning games, etc. If both are unsuccessful I will rearrange my room so that the 'teacher' computer is available for my students. I will find activities conducive to our curriculum that will allow the students to use technology.

Being information literate is critical in order to understand which type of technology will encourage an interactive and more meaningful learning experience for my students.

4 comments:

  1. You're off to a good start here! I encourage you to read the postings of Cinda and Jenifer regarding information literacy for further understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Of course in a classroom of twenty-one kindergarten students learning needs to be presented with enthusiasm and repetition."

    At times, taking that logic with persons of any age can help them understand it much better. And with some, it is the only way, because they can't understand something the first time around. No shame in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What motivation to help your class become more aware of technology! They are eager to learn at this age. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, you have what it takes to learn about educational technology (and information literacy!) and that's desire. If you keep reading, taking classes, going to the technology sessions at workshops and conferences, you'll learn! I didn't think I'd ever learn what I have in the past 2 years. I've just scratched the surface, but I'm learning tons.

    Keep up the good work!

    Cinda

    ReplyDelete